If you want to stretch your ears with tape then we have a set of instructions for you.
You are doing this at your own risk. We do not recommend that anyone does this and we are not medical doctors. For any medical or health recommendations or implications around this process you should definitely consult with a medical professional.
With that said let’s take a close look at ear stretching.
Tribes in various cultures have been practicing earlobe stretching for a long time. In the western world however it is a relatively new phenomenon.
Some people experiment on how far they can get the skin to stretch, others do it for beauty.
Ear stretching was originally (in the Western world) associated with hippies and rock fans, but currently everyone seems to be doing it.
Extreme care should be taken. Overstretching your ears or stretching it too fast could cause an injury or the earlobe could split.
There is also the risk of infection.
Teflon tapes and bondage tape are commonly used to stretch the ears.
How To Use Tape To Stretch Your Ears
You will need to buy PTFE Teflon Tape and make sure you have a pair of clean sterile scissors.
Never be tempted to use duct tape, household tape or electrical tape. They are laced with chemical adhesives that are dangerous and could cause infections.
You will need jewelry of different sizes. These should be of high quality to avert risks of infections.
The jewelry should be made of steel, glass or titanium. Use single flared or no flared jewelry.
Ensure that you have a water-based lubricant such as Jojoba Oil or vitamin E to enable the jewelry slide in effortlessly to avoid pain.
Jewelry types and size
You need to know your current jewelry size.
Jewelry sizes also called gauges, range from 20g ( the smallest) to 00g( the largest).
If you wear earrings frequently, your size will differ from the person who does not.
Never overstretch the first time.
If you have recently pierced your ears; wait until it completely heals to start stretching.
- Wash your hand with a disinfectant and the ear with warm water
- Warm water softens the ear and makes it elastic. Alternatively, you can do the stretching just after a hot shower
- Have the PTFE Teflon within arms reach. You should ensure the lobes are thoroughly healed before you start stretching
- Take your current jewelry and wrap 2 layers of Teflon take around it
- It is advisable to start small
- Avoid making bumps
- Cut off the tape after the wrap with the scissors
- Use a lubricant like jojoba oil on the plugs, to enable easy sliding. PFTE tape tends to dry the ears
- Insert back the tape wrapped plugs slowly into the ear. A slight sting is okay but if the pain is extreme, you should stop. It shows that the ear is not completely healed, or the jewelry size is too large
- After say, 4-5 days, add one or two more layers. The ears will keep adjusting to the new size
- Repeat the same procedure with the other ear
Different ears stretch differently so do not be alarmed if one ear is more elastic than the other.
Give it time, or use fewer tape wraps. If you find Teflon tape gets stuck to the inside of the ears; you may need to try bondage tapes.
When the jewelry is securely in place, there shouldn’t be any pain or blood. Mix 1/8 tablespoon of sea salt with warm water. Soak each ear in the solution for a few minutes. Avoid touching the ear constantly, it might cause irritation.
After a while remove the jewelry. Constantly massage the area with jojoba oil or vitamin E. It enhances blood flow and hastens healing. Vitamin E heals the scars tissue making future stretches possible. Always wash your ear regularly to avoid and bacterial build up. After the stretch has completely healed; wear jewelry that is designed for stretches.
Teflon and bondage tape are less expensive. They are perfect for large stretches. Taping gives you a slow but manageable increase. It allows faster and better healing.
What you should bear in mind when tape stretching;
- Only stretch after the previous stretch is completely healed
- Always start with minimal tape wraps
- Avoid touching the ear constantly; you could irritate it, causing more swelling and could delay the healing process
- Choose the right jewelry
- There should be no blood, in case of an injury, stop and allow the ear to heal first before stretching again
- Elasticity varies from ear to ear
- Never add too many layers at a go
- Never use electrical tape or duct tape or other industrial tapes. Only use Teflon or bondage tape
Remember ear stretching requires patience. Never be tempted to start big in a bid to hasten the process as you risk injuring your ear.
Although the healing process varies, the next major ear stretch should be after 1-2 months.
Skin elasticity varies from one person to another; you may not exactly get the same results as the other person.
After a large stretch, your ears may never return to its original shape. Be certain before doing this.