Masking tape (aka sticky tape) is most often used for covering up areas when painting. It’s very lightweight and easy to tear.
If you are doing painting though, our recommendation is to use painters tape rather than masking tape. It’s a bit more expensive but is specifically designed for painting.
What is Masking Tape Good For
Masking tapes primary uses include:
- Taping off sections prior to painting (although painters tape is better)
- Taping glass to minimize shattering
Not Recommended For
- When you need strength go for duct tape or gorilla tape
- Not water proof
- Not good for electrical work
- Oil based paint can seep through
Where to Buy Masking Tape?
You can buy masking at your local hardware store or you can buy it online from sites like Amazon:
Check out pricing on 3M Masking Tape for some great deals.
Final Verdict On Masking Tape
It’s very handy stuff to have around the house or office for light weight taping jobs. For painting though make sure you spend the small amount extra and get painters tape.
For heavy duty work get duct tape, or gorilla tape.