If you have a sore knee then it can help a lot to tape it up with sports tape.
This can make it less painful if you are planning on running. Or help an injury heal.
The tape we recommend for strapping and taping up knees is Kinesiology Tape (KT Tape).
How to Tape up your Knee
- Ensure the knee and surrounding area is shaved and free of body hair.
- Cut a piece of tape approximately 6 inches in length and place just below the kneecap (So the top of the strip of tape is at the bottom of the kneecap) horizontally.
- Cut two more lengths of tape around 12 inches long. These will be going on both the inside and outside of the thighs and crossing over the front of the kneecap.
- Firstly do the inside of the thigh, start the tape midway between the bottom and top of your thigh and stretch it lengthways until you almost reach the kneecap. Make sure it sticks here.
- Now wrap it around, down and across the kneecap so it forms on half of an X across the kneecap and horizontal piece of tape that was applied earlier.
- Now do the same, but on the outside of the thigh.
To show you better how to apply the tape, and how exactly to stretch it as you do so it will help if you watch the video below.
How to apply Kinesiology Taping for Knee Pain
A knee injury doesn’t always mean you have to rest up and stop being active. Take it easy though as you don’t want to make a minor injury into a major, or chronic, problem.
Please seek medical advice if you are unsure of the extent of your injury.