Some of the best looking cars out there have some type of pinstriping tape enhancing their appeal to the eye. One of the most famous of course is the amazing Herbie.
If you have ever thought about adding a stripe to your car then we have you covered. This article talks about the best vinyl tape to use and how to apply it.
For those of you that have had enough of your prinstripes, and want to get rid of them, we give you some tips on how to remove it as well.
What is the best pinstriping tape
The best pinstripe tape out there, in our opinion, would have to be 3M Scotchcal Striping Tape.
There are others on the market as well but before you buy any brand make sure you read all the reviews and take note of any issues that may be commonly encountered.
Tips on how to apply pinstriping tape
- Firstly ensure that the area you are taping is completely clean as you don’t want to mess up your masterpiece for the sake of a bit of dirt.
- Use a guide string stretched from one end of the vehicle to the other to help you professionally place the stripe.
- Measure twice, or even three times before purchasing and applying.
How to remove
There are a few different methods that can be used to remove pinstripes:
Using a hairdryer you can heat the vinyl tape until it starts to come loose. Be careful you don’t heat up the underlying paint too much though as it is possible to damage it.
You can use Rubbing Alcohol to help remove the vinyl. You will need to get a clean rag to use with this.
- Start by rubbing the end of the pinstripe and keep going until it begins to peel off. You might need to give it a helping hand with a credit card or sharp tool (being careful not to scratch the paint of course).
- Once the end of the tape starts coming up, you should be able to gently peel it away.
Where to Purchase
You can buy pinstriping tape from your local auto parts dealer or online from Amazon or similar stores.